Background of Donors:
The Bhatia’s immigrated from Republic of India about 50 years ago. Each came with a medical degree. They both worked at Creighton University School of Medicine and have retired as Professor Emeriti. They strongly value education as a way to advance in life.
To promote education and self-sufficiency among African American girls from North Omaha. The goal of this scholarship is to promote opportunities for Black women to engage in post-secondary opportunities that lead to a secure job and could be a stepping stone for future higher education. These post-secondary opportunities can include certifications, trade schools, or community colleges.
The Bhatia family scholarship can be applied to healthcare and other fields including but not limited to: Certified Nursing Assistant, Medical Records Technician, Radiologic Technologist, Medication Aide, Associate Degree in Nursing, Practical Nursing Diploma, EEG Technician, Associate Degree in Respiratory Therapy, Emergency Medical technician, Gastrointestinal Technician, Pharmacy Technician, Associate Degree in Business, Computer and Office Technology, Culinary Arts, Massage Therapy, Cosmetology, Barber, Esthetics.
$1000.00 scholarship up to two years (distributed throughout each term as applicable) to be awarded to two senior female students graduating from an Omaha Public School or Alternative Program. Funds will be transferred to the educational institution upon validation of proof of admission sent to the OPS Foundation, 3861 Farnam Street, Omaha, NE 68131 or .
Student will be graduating from an Omaha Public Schools who meets the following criteria:
- Student is a Black female residing in one of the following zip codes: 68102, 68104, 68105, 68110, 68111, 68112, 68131, 68132 and 68152.
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher validated by school transcript.
- Student’s resume and transcript display positive citizenship and spirit of volunteerism.
- Validation of financial hardship by submission of FAFSA Student Aid Index or Federal Student Aid Estimator.
- Confirmation of acceptance in certificate, trade, or community college program.
- Short essays:
- Tell us about yourself. In your response, include important things you would want us to know about you and discuss a meaningful time/experience in your life that has shaped who you are.
- Why I Want To Further My Education
- One letter of recommendation from teachers or staff
Omaha Public Schools Foundation, Executive Director/Scholarship Committee in consultation with Bhatia Family representative(s). Funds will be transferred to the educational institution upon validation of proof of admission sent to the OPS Foundation, 3861 Farnam Street, Omaha, NE 68131 or .